A selection of primary and secondary source documents relevant to the history of the anarchist political tradition in Australia.
Melbourne Anarchist Club (1886 – 1891)
- Prospectus of the Melbourne Anarchist Club, 1886, at Reason in Revolt.
- Honesty, paper of the Melbourne Anarchist Club, 1887-1888, at Reason in Revolt.
- ‘Chinese Labor’, Honesty, Melbourne, August 28, 1887. [transcribed by slackbastard].
- Tremble, Tyrants, and Beware!!!, Herald, 29 January 1887.
- ‘The Melbourne Anarchist Club 1886-1891’, S. Merrifield, Bulletin of the Australian Society for the Study of Labour History, No. 3 (Nov.,1962), pp. 32-43.
- A Reader of Australian Anarchism 1886 – 1896, Bob James, 1979. Transcribed at Takver’s Initiatives.
- ‘Andrews, John Arthur (1865–1903)’, Australian Dictionary of Biography, 1979.
- ‘Andrade, David Alfred (1859–1928)’, Australian Dictionary of Biography, 1979.
- ‘Fleming, John William (1863–1950)’, Australian Dictionary of Biography, 1981.
Active Service Brigade (1893 – 1895)
- Articles in Tocsin On Active Service, from Bob James, 1986, Anarchism and State Violence in Sydney and Melbourne 1886-1896, online at Takver’s Initiatives.
- An Anarchist Conference: Their Mysterious Lair, Daily Telegraph, 13 January 1898.
- Anarchy and Socialism in New South Wales, Sunday Times, 26 May 1894.
Industrial Workers of the World (1907 – )
- “Bump Me Into Parliament”, Bill Casey, 1915, Song.
- Tom Barker and the IWW, Eric Fry, 1965. Monograph published by the Australian Society for the Study of Labour History.
- “The Iron Heel: The Suppression of the IWW during World War I’’, Verity Burgmann, 1982, book chapter in Sydney Labour History Group (ed.), What Rough Beast? The State and Social Order in Australian History, Allen & Unwin, pp. 171-191.
- Revolutionary Industrial Unionism. The Industrial Workers of the World in Australia, Verity Burgmann, 1995, book, Cambridge University Press.
- “The Australian IWW and ‘Direct Action’, 1914-2000”, Mike, 2000, in Bulletin of the Kate Sharpley Library May 2000 – No. 22. Online at Libcom.
Spanish anarchist refugees in Australia (1909 – 2010s)
- Acracia: Publicación Anarquista de habla Hispana en Australia, 1972-1992, Acracia Press.
- ‘”The word makes the man”: A Catalan Anarchist Autodidact in the Australian Bush’, Judith Keene, 2001, in Australian Journal of Politics and History, Vol. 47, No. 2, pp. 311-329.
- ‘Anarchism, Communism and Hispanidad: Australian Spanish Migrants and the Civil War’, Robert Mason, 2009, journal article in Immigrants & Minorities, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 29-49.
- A Brief History of the Spanish Anarchist Refugees and Immigrants in Australia, Francisco Soler in cooperation with the Grupo Cultural de Estudios Sociales de Melbourne, 2012.
- The Spanish Anarchists of Northern Australia: Revolution in the Sugar Cane Fields, Robert Mason, 2018. [Not available free online, recommend you request your local library buy a copy].
- ‘House painter with a colourful past’, The Age, John Bryson, 2012.
- Activities of the Spanish Anarchist Refugees in Melbourne, Grupo Cultural de Estudios Sociales de Melbourne, 2018.
- ‘Vale Antonio Burgos (May 13, 1918–October 31, 2018) : The Last of the Spanish Anarchists Exiled to Australia’, ASF, 2018, at slackbastard.
Italian anarchist refugees in Australia (1922 – ?)
- ‘Anarchism in Australia’, Security Service of the Commonwealth Investigation Branch, 24 July 1942, in NAA: BP242/1, Q25027.
- ‘The Proletarian migrants: Fascism and Italian Anarchists in Australia’, Gianfranco Cresiani, 1979, article in The Australian Quarterly, vol. 51, no. 1, p.4. Online thanks to Takver’s Initiatives.
- ‘FG Fantin: the life & times of an Italo-Australian anarchist 1901-42’, David Faber, 2008, phd thesis, University of Adelaide.
- ‘The Italian Anarchist Press in Australia Between the Wars’, David Faber, 2009, Italian Historical Society Journal. Online thanks to COASIT.
- F G Fantin: A historical legacy retrieved, David Faber, 2016, article in the Journal of the Historical Society of South Australia, No. 44, p. 77-88.
The Sydney Push / Sydney Libertarians (1940s – 1964)
- Sex and Anarchy: The Life and Death of the Sydney Push, Anne Coombs, 1996. [No ebook version available, most university libraries will have a copy].
- Sydney Libertarians, selection of articles at Marxists Internet Archive.
- Sydney Libertarians and Anarchism Index, Takver, 2006.
- From Protest to Resurgence, Robert Graham, 2016.
Bulgarian anarchist exiles in Australia (1951-1966?)
- ‘May Day 1959: An Anarchist Message’, Sydney Anarchist Group, 1959.
- ‘Bulgarian Anarchists in Sydney: Notes from interview with George H.’, Bob James, 1985. Reproduced at Takver’s Initiatives.
- ‘Australian Anarchist History: Jack Grancharoff’, Joe Toscano, 2000, article in Anarchist Age Weekly Review, No. 415, 28 August 2000, retrieved from A-Infos.
- An interview with Jack the Anarchist (Jack Grancharoff), Takver, 2001.
- Jack ‘The Anarchist’ Grancharoff (1925–2016), Andy Fleming, 2016.
- NAA: A6119, 976, ASIO file of Jelesco “Jack” Grancharoff. Not yet digitized.
See Also: Red and Black: an anarchist journal (1964-2000).
Red and Black: an anarchist journal (1964 – 2001)
- Red and Black: an anarchist journal, Jack Grancharoff (ed.). Issues 1, 6, 9 and 29 online at LibCom.
Note: To anyone with access to back issues of Red and Black, I’m keen to get them digitized.
Sydney Anarchist Group (1974-1976)
- Assorted Press Clippings, 1954-1974, retrieved from Trove.
- ‘Anarchism in Sydney 1975-1981’, John Englart, online at Takver’s Initiatives.
- ‘Australian Anarchist History – Sydney Anarchist Group – 1973’, Joe Toscano, in Anarchist Age Weekly Review, No. 40, 12 June 2000.
- NAA: A6119, 7015, ASIO file of Peter James McGregor, in three volumes. Not yet digitized.
Carnival Anarchism (1970 – 1975)
- ‘Carnival anarchism in Melbourne 1970-1975’, 2002, at Takver’s Initiatives.
- ‘Carnival and Class: Anarchism and Councilism in Australasia during the 1970s’, Toby Boraman, 2012, in Libertarian Socialism: Politics in Red and Black, Alex Prichard, Ruth Kinna, Saku Pinta, David Berry (eds).
Self-Management Group, Brisbane (1971-1977)
- The Self-Management Group and the Brisbane Libertarians, Tim Breidis, 2010. At Radical Times.
- An essay aimed at discovering anarchism’s relevance to modern society, Self-Management Group, 197?. At Libcom.
- Self-Management Group Ephemera, index only, content not available online, collection at Fryer Library, University of Queensland.
Get Out of Fitzroy! (1974-1975)
- ‘The Best TV Reception in Melbourne’: Fitzroy ‘Low-life’ & the Invasion of the Renovator, Tony Birch, 2003. [Pages 14, 15, 16 for reference to Get Out of Fitzroy! campaign].
Federation of Australian Anarchists (1975-1977)
- Anarchist Libertarian Self Management Workshop Conference, advertisement, Woroni, 1974.
- The Organisational Platform of the Federation of Australian Anarchists, FAAB No. 3, Jan-Feb 1975. Text available thanks to Takver’s Initiatives.
- The Split – a Monash Anarchist Perspective, FAAB No. ? 1976. Text online thanks to Takver’s Initiatives.
- ‘Australian Anarchist History – Anarchist Libertarian Conference 1974’, Joe Toscano, 2000, Anarchist Age Weekly Review, No. 394.
Jura Books (1977 – Present)
- Jura Books History, Jura Books, 2005.
- ‘Anarchism in Sydney 1981-1982: The Jura Split’, John Englart, 2002.
- ‘Anarchism in Sydney 1982-2002: Anarchism in two bookshops’, John Englart, 2002.
- ‘Crisis at Jura’, Peter McGregor, 1996. A-Infos list.
Libertarian Workers for a Self Managed Society (1977 – )
- ‘Towards an Anarchist Society’, Libertarian Workers for a Self Managed Society, 1998.
- Assorted LWSS / Anarchist Age posters ranging 1978-2008, collated from Ficedl.
- Anarchist World This Week, Joe Toscano, radio show, [On air since 1977, episodes from 2015-present available at 3cr].
- Anarchist Age Weekly Review, Joe Toscano, Anarchist Media Institute. [AMI published approximately 1000 issues between 1991-2012, some recent back issues on their website, others by request]
Libertarian Socialist Alliance for Self Managed Energy Systems (1978 – 1979)
- ‘Libertarian Socialist Alliance for Self Managed Energy Systems: 1978-1979’, Joe Toscano, Anarchist Age Weekly Review, online thanks to Takver’s Initiatives. [Page includes text of leaflet ‘Leave Uranium in the Ground and Build Self-Managed Energy Systems’, 1979].
Treason: Anarchist Magazine (1979 – 1986)
Rebel Worker (1982 – Present)
- Rebel Worker, selected back issues retrieved from Archive.org.
- ‘Rebel Worker and Accountability’, John Englart, 2002
See also: Anarcho-Syndicalist Federation (1986 – Present).
Black Rose Books (1982 – 2015)
- Aims and Objectives of the Anarchist Movement, by the Redfern Black Rose Anarchist Bookshop Collective, May 1986
Affinity: Anarchist Quarterly (1983 – 1985?)
- Affinity: Anarchist Quarterly, no. 2, 1984. Online thanks to Reason in Revolt.
Institute for Social Ecology, Brisbane (1985? – ?)
- No organised anarchists in Brisbane?, Hamish Alcorn, 1999, message to A-Infos list.
Anarcho-Syndicalist Federation (1986 – Present)
- Aims, Principles and Statutes of the Anarcho-Syndicalist Federation, ASF, adopted 1986, most recently amended 2016. [Note: keen to obtain a copy of this document as promulgated in 1986].
- Anarchism and Anarcho-Syndicalism in Australia Today, Leigh Kendall, 1986.
- Anarcho-Syndicalism in Practice: Melbourne Tram Dispute and Lockout (January – February 1990), Jura Books, 1997.
- A Brief Herstory of the Melbourne ASF, Melbourne Local of the Anarcho-Syndicalist Federation, 2001.
See also: Anarcho-syndicalism in Melbourne and Sydney, Conal Thwaite, 2010.
Anarres Books (1992 – 2008)
- Who are we?, Anarres Books, 1997.
@Net (1993 – ?)
- ‘Proposal to setup an anarchist computer network’, Will Kemp, 1993.
- ‘The Anarchist Computer Network – A Year Later’, Will Kemp, 1995.
Sydney Anarchist / Sydney Anarchist Quarterly? (1993 – 1995?)
- Sydney Anarchist, May 1993, online thanks to Reason in Revolt.
- Sydney Anarchist Quarterly, August 1994 and Summer 1994/5 online thanks to Reason in Revolt.
Visions of Freedom conference (1995)
- Versions of Freedom, 1996, Visions of Freedom Collective.
Barricade Books (1995 – ?)
- ‘History‘, Barricade Books, 2005
Food Not Bombs Melbourne (1996 – Current)
- ‘Food Not Bombs’, Fiona, 1999.
- ‘Organizing: form an affinity group’, 2000, s11.org
- Melbourne Rising, SKA TV, 2000. Youtube.
- Protests against World Economic Forum at Melbourne Crown Casino September 11 – 13, Takver’s Initiatives, Takver, 2000.
Indymedia (2000 – 2015)
- Melbourne Independent Media Centre: Decision Making Policies and Processes, Melbourne IMC, 2002.
Melbourne Anarchist Club (2000 – Present)
- ‘Aims and Principles’, Melbourne Anarchist Club, 2007.
- ‘Melbourne’s anarchists overshadowed by capitalist developers’, Simon Johanson, The Age, 2014.
- ‘Melbourne Anarchist Club in battle with property developers’, Jill Stark, The Age, 2015.
- ‘Anarchy among anarchists as anti-capitalist clubhouse listed for sale’, Matilda Bosely, The Age, 15 June 2019.
Mutiny Collective (2003 – 2014)
- Mutiny Zine, back issues from June 2008 (no. 27) through May 2014 (no. 71) online thanks to Jura Books.
- Police Intelligence Isn’t, Princess Mob, Mutiny No. 30, September 2000.
- Excluded Persons List, New South Wales Police, 28 August 2007.
Anarcon (2001 – 2005)
- Documents related to anarcon at Takver’s Initiatives: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004.
- Posters and radio ads, anarchon 2005.
Melbourne Anarchist Communist Group (2004 – present)
- ‘Aims and Principles’, Melbourne Anarchist Communist Group, December 2004.
- ‘Statement of Shared Positions’, Melbourne Anarchist Communist Group, 2013. See also: 2015 and 2018.
- The Anvil, Melbourne Anarchist Communist Group, 2007-. [back issues at MACG website].
G20 Summit Protest (2006)
- ‘A Call to form an Arterial Bloc for G20’, Pacifist Petal, 25 October 2006.
- ‘The Battle of Collins Street’, Gary Tippet, Mark Russell and Chantal Rumble, The Age, November 2006.
- Final Report: G20 Protests, Human Rights Observer Team, Federation of Community Legal Centres (Vic) Inc, 2007. Online thanks to MALS.
Student Housing Action Co-operative (2008 – 2009)
- ‘Student Housing Action Co-operative’, Mariscal, 2008, in Mutiny Zine, No. 30.
- S.H.A.C. Blog, articles, press clippings and documents, Aug 2008 through Jan 2009.
Melbourne Anarchist Bookfair and Camp Anarchy (2011 – )
- Melbourne Anarchist Bookfair posters, A Events Melbourne Collective, 2013 – 2018.
- Camp Anarchy Posters, A Events Melbourne Collective, 2013-2019.
- Camp Anarchy Reader, A Events Melbourne Collective, 2013.
- Safer Spaces Policy, A Events Melbourne collective, 2013.
Occupy Melbourne (2011)
- Occupy Reflects, James Muldoon (ed), 2012, online thanks to Reason in Revolt.
- OCCUPY POLICING: A Report into the Effects and Legality of the Eviction of Occupy Melbourne from City Square on 21 October 2011, Occupy Melbourne Legal Support Team, 2012. Online thanks to MALS.
Anarchist Affinity / Collective Action (2012 – present)
- ‘Statement of Principles’, Anarchist Affinity, 2013.
- The Platform, zine, Anarchist Affinity, four issues, 2014 – 2016.
Black Swan (2013 – 2015)
- ‘Aims and Principles’, Black Swan, 2013.
Sydney Anarchist Bookfair (2014 – 2015)
- ‘The making of an anarchist bookfair’, Jay Kerr & Sid Parissi, article in Anarcho-Syndicalist Review, no. 62, pp-15-16. [No DOI available, search the title from a library with ProQuest access to retrieve].
- Sydney Anarchist Bookfair posters, 2014-2015.
Other / Uncategorized
- Melbourne Anarchist Archives: Development of Melbourne Anarchism: Drafts, Documents and Articles 1966 – 1973. Transcribed contents available at Takver’s Initiatives.
- Melbourne Anarchist Archives, Development of Melbourne Anarchism: Drafts, Documents and Articles 1973-1976. A scanned copy is available here at Reason in Revolt.
If you are interested in collaborating on this project, please do not hesitate to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Material relevant to the project can be sent by email to email@example.com or by post to:
PO Box 283
Moreland VIC 3058